The SRM Engine Suite
The SRM Engine Suite is a virtual engineering design tool for simulating the performance and exhaust gas emissions from internal combustion engines. Example applications have included motorcycle, passenger car, motor sport, truck, locomotive, marine and power generation.
Through integrating the srm engine suite, our growing customer base has benefited by adding a well validated, robust and state-of-the-art library of sub-models to their design process enabling unrivaled optimisation of fuel characteristics and engine design and control parameters.
All projects & post-processing is handled through the use of CMCL Innovation’s newly improved SRM Engine Suite GUI, offering intuitive and user friendly methods to setup your simulations , export/visualise data, and run advanced post-processing analysis tools.
Through our on-going product development program and through customer feedback and projects, the tool has the following new capabilities.
- More reactors: Iso-thermal, liquid fuel injection, cetane test, octane test, oil droplet ignition engine, engine breathing, dual fuel engine.
- More fuel models: Hydrogen, toluene reference fuel, ethanol, dual fuel (natural gas & diesel).
- Fast solvers: Chemistry solvers (5-15 times speed-up), mixing and chemistry sub-model flexibility.
- Advanced fuels, combustion and emissions simulations using the srm engine suite
- Improved visualisations: Plot line, scatter, bar, pie, and raw tabular data, save custom charts, modify titles and colours, import *.csv files and compare with your simulations.
- Improved sensitivity analysis: Easy configuration, customisation and post processing.
- Advanced turbulence models: Accounting for swirl, tumble, injection and squish effects.
- More accurate particulate matter (PM) prediction: New wall impingement sub-model.
- Ignition delay matrix calculator including validation and error checking
- Improved work flow: batch running, parameter, case handling and error checking with support menus and visualisation.
- Reduced computational times compared to equivalent conventional CFD approach
- More robust predictive performance compared to conventional 1D thermodynamic simulation tools
- Fuel flexible with full intergration with the kinetics toolkit
- Applicable to applications of any size, from smallest utility engine to largest marine application
- Fully flexible to enable robust analysis of advanced and unconventional combustion concepts
- Full technical support, training and documentation.
- Full library of customisable in-cylinder sub-models for application to your engine.
- Predictive combustion and emissions simulations using detailed chemical kinetics.
- Accurate diesel combustion models with multiple direct injection events.
- Turbulent SI combustion and knock models (fully predictive and semi- empirical modes).
- Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) / Low Temp Combustion (LTC) / Partially Premixed Compression Ignition (PPCI).
- Predictive turbulent mixing models for all combustion modes.
- Simulator accounts directly for in-cylinder stratification (injection events, heat transfer, emissions formation).
- Crank angle resolved combustion characteristics (heat release rate, combustion phasing and duration, and in-cylinder pressure).
- Advanced chemistry solvers enable the solution of detailed chemical kinetics.
- State-of-the-art models with validation published in well over twenty-five peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Thermal analysis – Predictions of exhaust gas temperatures.
- Market-leading solution in identifying sources of exhaust gas emissions (CO, HC, NOx and PM).
- Analysis of chemical species including intermediates (OH, formaldehyde).
- Empirical models for simulation of PM emissions.
- Integrated detailed soot model: Detailed population balance soot model enables calculation of soot morphology, composition and detailed particle size distribution.
Advanced Chemical Kinetics
- Carry out detailed analysis of in-cylinder composition distributions
- Flexible fuels – all sub-models retain predictive capability through simultaneous solution of chemical kinetics.
- Capable of simulating user-provided fuel models. e.g. conventional (diesel and gasoline) as well as alternative (natural gas, ethanol, biodiesel) fuels.
- Define your fuel composition and analyse the influence of multi-component blending.
- Simulations of different fuel grades (CN, RON/MON) in context with engine performance.
- User our advanced diesel and gasoline fuel models, or import your own.
- Extend your simulations to include engine gas exchange and breathing.
- Account for external EGR and see its impact on combustion and emissions.
- See the impact of combustion and emissions on typical engine performance metrics such as BMEP, IMEP, brake torque/power etc.